During National Handwashing Awareness Week, December 1-7, Vail Health wants to help remind the community of the importance of clean hands, especially when trying to stop the spread of a virus. Now more than ever, it’s vital to make handwashing a daily habit. The CDC recommends the following steps for proper and effective handwashing:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure to lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry hands using a clean towel or air dry them.